Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A little bit of love

So It's probably about time that I update my blog seeing as it's been just a little while.  This past month and a half has so super crazy around here.  Many of you know some of the things that have been going on in our family and the trials that we have been faced with this last month.

I want to start this post off by paying tribute to my amazing Grandfather.  

My Grandpa Ockerman passed away April 22, 2012.    I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to say my good byes' a couple of hours before he left.  That is the one thing that I will never forget.  He placed his hand on my cheek,  I leaned in and he patted my cheek and tried to let me know that he loved me.  I looked at him and let him know that I knew he loved me and that we all loved him more than he would ever know.  Grandpa Ockerman was such an amazing man.  I still don't know if I have truly come to the realization that he is actually gone.  Although I know he is in a better place with loved ones, and is as happy and healthy as can be it's hard to see him go.  I have so many great memories of him.  I remember when I was younger, going to his home in Idaho Falls, on Riviera  (his house has a steep drive way, we (my brother, sister and cousins) used to have skateboard races down the driveway.  He is famous for his cooking, some of it good some definitely not so good.  He loved to experiment with his food and experiment he did.  He had a  great big garden in his backyard and the one thing that I remember from his garden was the Rhubarb.  Rhubarb wasn't my favorite but my brother became quite fond of it.

He always liked to have fun.  I believe I got my love for card games (actually any type of games) from him and my grandma.  They always played cards with us some our favorites were phase 10, quiddler, and five crowns.  Four wheeling was another fond memory that I have of my sweet grandpa.  He would go four-wheeling with us and he always had his little Sadie girl (poodle)  riding along with him on his four-wheeler.  He loved to fish, camp and be outdoors having fun!  I think one of the only times I have ever been fishing was with him.

He Loved and supported every single one of his children and grandchildren and great grandchildren.  I remember one time it was Alex's Eagle court of Honor and there was a knock at the door and guess who was on the other side of the door.  That's right Grandpa had driven all the way from Idaho Falls just to come and support my brother with his great accomplishment.  It just so happens that, that same day my sister and brother in law had just returned home from the hospital with their new baby boy so he also got to meet his great grandson for the first time when he was only 3 days old.  After the Eagle court of honor he hopped back into his truck and headed home because he had doctors appointments the next morning. 

He was always so sweet and kind and loving, he was constantly smiling and never complained.  He was super sick this past year and a half.  He had to have dialysis a couple times a week and sometimes it was for hours at a time.  I would call him to see how he was doing and I could hear it in his voice that he didn't feel good but his response would be oh I'm just great.  I would call him a liar and ask how he was really doing and his response would be the same.  He was so strong and never complained about anything.  I want to be more like him.  I am so thankful that I was blessed enough to have such an amazing grandfather in  my life.  We love you Grandpa Ockerman

1 comment:

Ron & Michelle said...

Thank you for posting that tribute. It was very sweet we all love and miss him. You have a good way with words maybe you should pursue something in writing. I am totally serious. Love you mom